groovy-users mailing list archives

From MG <mg...@arscreat.com>
Subject Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2018 21:50:13 GMT
PPS: I do not agree with you assessment of Kotlin: Apart from it being
always statically typed (less flexible than Groovy, but sometimes just
all one needs, and definitely easier for Java-only-developers to wrap
their head around; also helps avoid the annoying "only a scripting
language" tag), I find it to be 95% Groovy, with an added 5% of really
weird/bad syntactic/semantic decisions (Javascript type declarartion
syntax, which works well for a very weakly typed language only were you
seldom use it, and the imho clumsy non-null-syntax semantics).
Implementation wise they have done some things which Groovy should do,
but these are no-brainers, e.g. the semantics of inline closures, or
that final variables with no explicit type are not of type Object, but
of the type they were assigned, or named parameters support which does
not try to force-map the problem to a (non type safe) map.