groovy-users mailing list archives

From MG <mg...@arscreat.com>
Subject Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2018 19:05:25 GMT
Hi Jochen,

On 16.02.2018 01:52, Jochen Theodorou wrote:
> For me inline closures are not a no-brainer, not at all. just because
> their solution may look simple does not mean it was easy to develop or
> that it can be used for Groovy.

not being in any way used to thinking about how to extend/improve a
computer language, it took me under 30min to arrive at the solution,
which I later found Kotlin, it seemed, had already implemented (starting
from my own implementation using exceptions, and the obvious other idea
based on special return values (both ideas have been discussed for a
long time by Groovy devs as I later learned)).

That makes it a no brainer to me, same as its benefits from a Groovy
user's perspective: It is the fastest solution runtime wise, and has no
surprising properties (caught exceptions, etc).

You are one of the experts on the implementation side, of course, and I
am constantly surprised how many problems/side effects the
implementation of the most innocent looking Groovy feature can have (a
good learning experience to understand how a manager must feel when you
try to explain to him that the seemingly small extension he envisions
actually carries a lot of implementation effort, and also does not come
free side effect wise). So the implementation side can easily be no
no-brainer - but that does imho not make Kotlin a language with a
language design that Groovy can learn from...

Cheers,
mg