groovy-users mailing list archives

From Søren Berg Glasius <soe...@glasius.dk>
Subject Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2018 07:55:12 GMT
@Mario

Very good thoughts, I really like the idea that an award is permanent, I
believe that goes for Java Champs as well.

Naming wise, Groovyssimo is fun, but not naming material for an award :-)
But we need to narrow down the name-space to something realistic that can
be voted on.

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 at 08:50 Mario Garcia <mario.ggar@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 to what Guillaume said :) Common guys! Lets focus on what we think is a
> great language and let others think what they want!
>
> Regarding the duration of the award. I've though about it, trying not to
> think in terms of annually or permanent, but trying to see what's out there
> outside the CS world, and I ended up thinking on the Nobel prize. I'd like
> some ideas of Nobel prize:
>
>    - Takes place every year
>    - A given prize could be vacant a given year.
>    - It's so important that it's really noticeable to be awarded
>    - Makes people very proud of some achievement they did a given year
>    - Once you're a Nobel you will always be a Nobel.
>    - Of  course there's been awarded people that even rejected the prize
>    but that never really underrated the prize overtime
>    - New members are chosen by previous members and some other relevant
>    people (members of the parliament among others). Here I'd add the idea
>    of letting anybody to propose a nominee, but leaving the final decision to
>    the prize committee (whatever we decide who is in)
>
> Despite the difference of content between the Nobel prize and the Groovy
> awards, after reviewing these points I think they seem to fit better in the
> Groovy Champions/Stars idea. There is also something I haven't heard yet. I
> guess this will require a kind of permanent organization, e.g. to contact
> members, nominees, organize the awards, a web to show the winners...etc
>
> BTW: Here you have another naming for the awards: Groovisimo Awards. Can
> you imaging a "Groovisimo" statue like the Oscars ? It would be a blast
> XDDDD
>
> My two cents
> Mario

>> James Stachan's quote has really been taken out of context, and
>> over-exagerated bu the Scala-fanboys.
>> If Scala had been what it is now, James would probably not have initiated
>> Groovy *then*. But Scala was nascent just like Groovy *then*.
>> It's like if Gavin King had said that he wouldn't have invented Hibernate
>> if JPA had existed... but JPA came ten years later.
>>
>> This quote was really harmful, but as the saying goes, lots of water's
>> gone through the bridges since then.
>>
>> There's still the myth of slowliness, which we all know is not true
>> anymore, even in pure dynamic mode (without even mentioning static
>> compilation)
>> Usually, you spend way more time in network latency (access to remote
>> resources, access to database, etc) than waiting for the CPU spent by just
>> the pure language execution time.
>>
>> Also back on James Strachan: he went to play with Scala, then with
>> Kotlin, and has come back to using Groovy.
>> He's using Groovy on a regular basis through his work with Jenkins, its
>> pipelines, etc.
>> So he's back at his old love!
>>
>> So let's turn the page on those stories, please.
>>
>> Guillaume
>>

>> On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 10:26 AM, Daniel Sun <realbluesun@hotmail.com>
> [...]
Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,
Søren Berg Glasius

Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
Mobile: +45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius