groovy-users mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: Sample Forum
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2018 01:42:19 GMT
My position hasn't really changed much but I spoke to Apache infra and here
is the overall summary:

* Apache infra don't have a huge appetite for hosting an Apache internal
copy of Discourse. They could set us up a VM and we could host it ourselves
but they wouldn't encourage it since often when projects do this they
underestimate the resources required to maintain and keep it up to date and
they end up with lots of unmaintained services lying around hardly being
used.
* They'd encourage us to use Pony Mail instead of nabble as something to
encourage people to use which is backed by the Apache mailing lists:
  https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@groovy.apache.org
* They'd happily accept pull requests/patches to get things like pretty
code formatting happening within Pony Mail.
* They'd recommend using the external hosting service just for the users
list. Most of our "conduct all official business" on the mailing lists
obligations are with respect to the dev list. Wrt the users list, if we
conduct a poll or something like that we'd need to summarise the results
back in the users list, similarly if people start posting patches into the
forum we should encourage them to go via other channels, PRs, pony mail,
the Apache users mailing list directly etc.

So, it get's back to whether we can support yet another channel. I am happy
to give it a try but already find myself stretched across the existing
channels, so can't promise super fast feedback in such a forum.

Cheers, Paul.