groovy-users mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: About Gradle, Kotlin and Inner Fear
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2017 10:18:27 GMT
On Tue, 2017-11-28 at 10:13 +0900, Thibault Kruse wrote:

[…]
> Of course there is inertia, and I have nothing to compare the numbers
> to to see if the inertia is normal or not normal.
> Maybe kotlinscript is hugely successful on github because the
> baseline
> expectation should be for there to still be zero projects on github
> using kotlinscript.

Never underestimate inertia in companies, especially big software
development companies!

> So I was curious what other people think of those numbers. To me they
> look low given the amount of blogposts about how great kotlin itself
> is (if assuming such kotlin-hyping bloggers would naturally publish
> their projects on github, too).

Java will remain the prime language on the JVM because it is the Java
Virtual Machine, not anyone else's! Also Java programmers, except the
ones who go to the forward looking sessions at conferences, do appear
to be incredibly conservative bunch. "We moved to Java 1.7, what more
do you want" types are not untypical in the era of OpenJDK9 being the
standard JDK.

They get even more conservative over build, usually because most do not
understand it. Often they are not allowed to change a build, they just
use it. So it is the "build masters" and DevOps folk that need to be
sampled as to why they are using Maven or Gradle, and why with Gradle
they use Groovy or Kotlin.

It would be interesting to see the results of such a bit of research if
someone were able to do it.

In the end getting examples out there of Kotlin used to drive Gradle
will be the only way to give people the confidence to use it: the early
adopters need to do the research for people by providing lots of
examples people can draw on.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200