groovy-users mailing list archives

From Chad Berchek <ChadBerc...@carfax.com>
Subject Sql parameter count verification causing exceptions
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2017 19:37:26 GMT
In 2.4.9, groovy.sql.Sql started checking that the number of parameters passed to query execution
methods equals the number of parameters reported by the JDBC driver through the PreparedStatement.getParameterMetaData().getParameterCount()
method in response to issue GROOVY-8082.

We are using the MS SQL Server JDBC driver, which returns incorrect parameter counts for some
queries. We have tried multiple driver versions (4.0.2206.100, and the latest, 6.1.0.jre8).
Of course, this is a driver bug, not a Groovy bug, and I plan to file an issue there, but
the end result is the same: we are now stuck on Groovy 2.4.8.

I would like to raise the question of whether this check is even necessary and whether Groovy
Sql is really the appropriate place for such checking. The original request which motivated
the change, GROOVY-8082, has to do with sending an empty parameter Map with an SQL string
containing no parameters. It doesn’t seem like resolving the original issue creates any
need to also throw an exception if the parameter count returned by the driver does not match
the parameter list size. I believe this is unnecessary because the driver itself should throw
an exception when the statement is executed if all the parameters have not been set.

I noted that in GROOVY-8174 someone encountered a problem because the Oracle driver appears
to be adding a parameter. In pull request 534, evidently slated for Groovy 2.4.12, the parameter
count check was weakened as follows:

-            if (metaData.getParameterCount() != params.size()) {
+            if (metaData.getParameterCount() < params.size()) {
                 throw new IllegalArgumentException("Found " + metaData.getParameterCount()
+ " parameter placeholders but supplied with " + params.size() + " parameters");

However, this will not solve our problem because in our case the SQL Server driver is returning
a parameter count that is too low. Here is an example of one such query:

            sql.execute('insert into municipality_fields (agency_ori, field_id) select ?,?
where not exists ' +
                    '(select * from municipality_fields where agency_ori=? and field_id=?)',
                    agencyOri, field.id, agencyOri, field.id)

This query causes the SQL Server driver to return a parameter count of 2 when there are actually
4 parameters. Please note that without the parameter metadata count check the statement actually
executes fine. But with Groovy 2.4.11 we get:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Found 2 parameter placeholders but supplied with 4 parameters
                at groovy.sql.Sql.setParameters(Sql.java:4116)
                at groovy.sql.Sql.getPreparedStatement(Sql.java:4394)
                at groovy.sql.Sql.getPreparedStatement(Sql.java:4482)
                at groovy.sql.Sql.execute(Sql.java:2379)
                at groovy.sql.Sql.execute(Sql.java:2486)

See also GROOVY-8128.