groovy-users mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: changing "with" to return self or doto
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2016 13:31:23 GMT
I have to confess I have been testing the waters a bit ;) Anyway, I am
happy we decided on not having this in 2.5. The problem of course now is
if we still want it as different method like doto or self, or if we
really want to push this to 3.0 and what should I do with the poor guy
from the pull request? Actually starting a 3.0 branch does not look
right atm too.

On 06.07.2016 14:41, Canoo wrote:
> We can only make breaking changes where the old behavior was just wrong.
> The proposal would have been ok as well if we had started with it. But given what we
have now, it is a "won't fix".

> Cheers
> Dierk
> sent from: mobile
>
>> Am 06.07.2016 um 14:20 schrieb Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org>:
>>
>> We have an overlap of https://github.com/apache/groovy/pull/174 and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-3976.
That I would like to discuss.

>> Basically 3976 is about making "with" return the object it operates on. Right now
we have

>> assert 1 == x.with {1}
>> assert x == x.with {it}
>>
>> and after 3976 we would have:
>>
>> assert x == x.with {1}
>> assert x == x.with {it}
>>
>> The mentioned pull request goes with the same logic, but using a new method. My opinion
on this is, that we should go for a breaking change in 2.5 and change "with", instead of adding
another method on Object.

>> What do you guys think? Do you agree, or should we keep the current behavior, should
there be a doto method instead?

>> PS: just in case some people are wondering... I am trying to get some of our old
pull requests in, there are too many and keeping them open so long is an insult to contributors..