groovy-users mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject changing "with" to return self or doto
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2016 12:20:36 GMT
We have an overlap of https://github.com/apache/groovy/pull/174 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-3976. That I would like to
discuss.

Basically 3976 is about making "with" return the object it operates on.
Right now we have

assert 1 == x.with {1}
assert x == x.with {it}

and after 3976 we would have:

assert x == x.with {1}
assert x == x.with {it}

The mentioned pull request goes with the same logic, but using a new
method. My opinion on this is, that we should go for a breaking change
in 2.5 and change "with", instead of adding another method on Object.

What do you guys think? Do you agree, or should we keep the current
behavior, should there be a doto method instead?

PS: just in case some people are wondering... I am trying to get some of
our old pull requests in, there are too many and keeping them open so
long is an insult to contributors..

So if I do not forget about this and if there are no reactions I am
going to change "with"

bye Jochen