groovy-users mailing list archives

From Suderman Keith <suder...@anc.org>
Subject Re: changing "with" to return self or doto
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2016 19:34:02 GMT

> On Jul 6, 2016, at 10:41 AM, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org> wrote:
>

> On 06.07.2016 16:24, Suderman Keith wrote:
>> -1 to a breaking change (in 2.5 or 3.0).  I agree with Jason, breaking changes only
for methods that are widely considered to be broken.

> if no breaking changes even in a new major version, then when?

Well, I was simply speaking to this particular breaking change.  However, I am in agreement
with Jason and breaking changes should only occur in major versions (maybe with some exceptions)
and then only for very good, well agreed upon reasons.

Keith

>> -1 to a new method.  While a new method may be better than a breaking change I don’t
like to see Object’s namespace become even more polluted with marginally useful methods.
 I don’t think the current behaviour is so offensive that it requires an additional method
on Object; is `x.with { it }` really that bad?

> yes, I feel the namespace for Object is too polluted already as well.
>
> bye Jochen

Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
Vassar College