I am developing chat servers which need hold user information in server memory like the tcp or udp channels and other user session data.

Hot deployments will be useful that I can keep the user information in memory and upgrade the business code for new features. So that those chat users won't need re-login again, otherwise I need restart chat servers for the upgrade which will easily cause login storm.

Currently my plan is using groovy for hot deploy, I will do switching GroovyClassLoader every time when I need upgrade code, which means in groovy code, I can not hold any memory, I think the advantage is I can control to upgrade groovy scripts after the code is updated on server and demand our developers not hold any memory in groovy scripts, this is like how PHP does, right?

For further thinking, to resolve the NOT hold any memory demand, I am thinking about implement MemoryDB (May like Redis, but much more simpler) for groovy scripts, so that developers can save objects to MemoryDB in runtime.

Do you think this is a reasonable design? Please advice, much appreciated!