groovy-users mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: About Gradle, Kotlin and Inner Fear
Date Mon, 23 May 2016 14:30:36 GMT
On 23.05.2016 13:57, Cédric Champeau wrote:

>     I really would like to see a gradle DSL example in Kotlin that
>     cannot made static checked in Groovy. Because things like accessing
>     dynamic properties won´t work in Kotlin as well.
>
> I made it very clear in my blog post: the Kotlin DSL is based on a new
> API that the static Groovy DSL could use too. That's not an issue. But
> Kotlin makes it significantly easier for IDEs because it is statically
> compiled, and therefore there's absolutely no need for an external DSL
> descriptor: all the constructs of the language, like extension methods
> or static builders are first class language features. The issue is, IDE
> support for Groovy is lacking (Groovy Eclipse is dead, IntelliJ needs to
> know specifics of static Gradle/Groovy scripts, ...)

I was thinking about our extension methods as well as annotated closures
parameters. In my opinion we have the basics there, so the question is
how o make it more easy to use for the static compiler. Like having an
import for a static extension method container and reducing the scope
... aka static categories. And so on.

Bye Jochen