I appreciate your response.

The problem is that the node that is being removed will be defined by the user during a configuration stage.

Because of the generic nature the node to remove will be defined via a GPath string.

I do not want to require the user to specify the GPath string with the namespace prefixes.

To expand on your example…

String xml = '''

<a:root xmlns:a="urn:a" xmlns:b="urn:b" xmlns:c="urn:c">

    <a:child1>child1</a:child1>

    <b:child2>

       <b:content>

         <b:dataNode>

            Proprietary data to sanitize

         </b:dataNode>

       </b:content>

    </b:child2>

    <c:child3>child3</c:child3>

</a:root>

'''

User would enter a GPath of  “child2.content.dataNode”  NOT  “b:child2.b:content.b:dataNode”

In order for this to work the XML has to be parsed with the XmlSlurper argument namespaceAware=true.

def root = new XmlSlurper(false, true).parseText(xml)

Now the println will show that the namespace prefixes are all altered a: = tag0: , b: = tag1: , c: = tag2: , etc.

println XmlUtil.serialize(newRoot)

Are you doing more than just removing nodes?  The following seems to retain the namespace prefixes when serializing back out after removing a node.

import groovy.xml.*

String xml = '''

<a:root xmlns:a="urn:a" xmlns:b="urn:b" xmlns:c="urn:c">

    <a:child1>child1</a:child1>

    <b:child2>child2</b:child2>

    <c:child3>child3</c:child3>

</a:root>

'''

def root = new XmlSlurper().parseText(xml)

root.child2.replaceNode {}

String newXml = XmlUtil.serialize(root)

def newRoot = new XmlSlurper().parseText(newXml)

println XmlUtil.serialize(newRoot)

assert newRoot.lookupNamespace('a') == 'urn:a'

assert newRoot.child3.lookupNamespace('c') == 'urn:c'

Don't believe there's a defined way to get all the namespaces from the original files, other than possibly picking at the non-public namespaceTagHints field or by visiting each node and using #namespaceURI() to get it's namespace.