For posterity, here's the working form of very short loop for accepting a bunch of values in a map which are all in string form.  The goal is to try to parsing them to their groovy types, and then assign them to the variables on the current object if those variables exist.  This loop will be in the constructor for various objects that get "instantiated" from this source application.  The exception is needed for plain old string values.

taskProps.each {String k,String v ->
    if (this.hasProperty(tmpKey)) {
        try{
            this[tmpKey] =  new GroovyShell().parse(v).run()
        }catch(MissingPropertyException e){
            this[tmpKey] = v
        }
    }
}

Groovy really is amazing.

It seems the one side-effect is that all string properties will now have to be enclosed in quotes, whereas before they did not.

Here are the proofs... Maybe mrhaki can post these examples on his blog.

def r = "1..5"
assert new GroovyShell().parse("return $r").run() == [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

def b = "true"
assert new GroovyShell().parse("return $b").run() == true

def l = "['str1','str2']"
assert new GroovyShell().parse("return $l").run() == ['str1', 'str2']

def s = "'mystring'"
assert new GroovyShell().parse("return $s").run() == "mystring"

​def m = "['key1':'value1','key2':'value2']"
assert new GroovyShell().parse("return $m").run()​ == ['key1':'value1','key2':'value2']​

Gerald R. Wiltse
jerrywiltse@gmail.com