Are you doing more than just removing nodes?  The following seems to retain the namespace prefixes when serializing back out after removing a node.

import groovy.xml.*

String xml = '''
<a:root xmlns:a="urn:a" xmlns:b="urn:b" xmlns:c="urn:c">
    <a:child1>child1</a:child1>
    <b:child2>child2</b:child2>
    <c:child3>child3</c:child3>
</a:root>
'''

def root = new XmlSlurper().parseText(xml)
root.child2.replaceNode {}

String newXml = XmlUtil.serialize(root)
def newRoot = new XmlSlurper().parseText(newXml)

println XmlUtil.serialize(newRoot)
assert newRoot.lookupNamespace('a') == 'urn:a'
assert newRoot.child3.lookupNamespace('c') == 'urn:c'

Don't believe there's a defined way to get all the namespaces from the original files, other than possibly picking at the non-public namespaceTagHints field or by visiting each node and using #namespaceURI() to get it's namespace.