Curious...it worked on both my Windows 10 home machine and my Windows 7 work machine.  What's you're JAVA_HOME environment variable set to?  Is it a JDK?

I'm thinking maybe your JAVA_HOME isn't set, and you can't pass where Java is as an arg because groovy.c doesn't take any args for groovyConsole.  I've been meaning to update the native binaries, we've been in need of some changes for a while.  But first I wanted to move it over to GNU Make so we can actually reliably build these things (or change to Launch4j -- I'm not sure I get the original author's objections to that idea).  I just haven't gotten it done yet...

In the mean time, I'd look at setting your JAVA_HOME, or j.ust keep using the batch file.

-Keegan

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Winnebeck, Jason <Jason.Winnebeck@windstream.com> wrote:
I understand you are green that's fine.

I don't use the installer, so I didn't have groovyConsole.exe, but I did try the installer. My account is not an admin so I installed outside of Program Files, and for whatever reason I got no start menu entries, but all of the files did copy down. If I run groovyConsole.exe directly it did work. I'm not sure how groovyConsole.exe differs from the bat in terms of launching Groovy, or how the exe file is made.

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Mart [mailto:M.Ayre@herts.ac.uk]
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2016 8:47 AM
To: users@groovy.incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: Groovy Console wont start

Thanks Jason

Told you I was green

The windows insall added  Start GroovyConsole to the start menu the properties being "C:\Program Files (x86)\Groovy\Groovy-2.4.6\bin\groovyConsole.exe".

However running the GroovyConsole.bat does indeed start up the console. At least I know my Java_Home is ok!

Any idea why groovyConsole.exe doesnt run?

Mart