groovy-users mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: groovy issue with @Grab
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2016 09:33:16 GMT

On 23.03.2016 10:08, DECLOEDT Loic EVADERIS wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am taking the opportunity to inform you of an issue we have seen since
> a long time.
>
> When a @Grab statement is in a script, the next statement MUST be a
> variable statement. For example, a code like this:
>
> @Grapes([
>
>    @Grab('org.apache:commons-lang:2.6')
>
> ])
>
> // this var declaration is required to avoid startup error
>
> //def i = 0

an annotation has to annotate something. Java allows annotations on
variable declarations, classes, methods, packages and imports (at least
I think it was both), as well as parameters. Since we follow the Java
rules for annotation placement, the same applies to us.... we have been
talking about extending this, but the current parser gets in the way of
doing that, since such a change is highly ambiguous in many cases. After
all, you are replacing a clear distinction of for example statements and
their introducing keywords with something all have in common.

[...]
> Is it a known issue ?

yes, we hope once the long work on the new grammar is done, this issue
can be tackled.

bye Jochen