groovy-users mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: About the syntax of groovy
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2015 14:38:59 GMT

The code is licensed under the Apache Software License, which is permissive so anyone could
fork it, and of course the community is free to move anytime it wants, but the trademarks
will have been transferred to Apache as part of the incubation process.  They have to be,
otherwise, the Apache Software Foundation would be unable to defend the trademarks on behalf
of the community.

That shouldn’t scare you!  The point of the foundation is to have a corporate entity whose
whole reason for existence is to support and defend open source projects, and whose mission
is indisputably charitable.  There is no chance that Apache is going to turn around and try
to monetize the project (like Oracle attempted to do with Hudson, for instance).  Apache’s
governance is open and public.  Groovy’s future development is in the hands of the new PMC,
and shouldn’t be dominated by any one corporate interest (although corporate interests are
more than welcome to contribute to the community and share in the products of it).

The future of the Groovy name is far safer being owned by Apache than by anyone else.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk