I'm using SwingBuilder in a perhaps overly complex way, and need help to make things work.  The system is large, but someone else wrote almost all the SwingBuilder code, and I am far from an expert on SwingBuilder.

My system has a class BackgroundTask that extends SwingWorker and that lets me write something like

def task = BackgroundTask().taskBody {}.whenDone {}

A BackgroundTask can also be given closures for onStart and onProgress, but that is probably TMI.  As you might expect, the closures for taskBody and whenDone run in different threads.

All the closures get processed by a method configBody, which is

private Closure configBody(Closure c) {

   // Set the delegate to be me, and set resolve so I am first

   c.delegate = this

   c.resolveStrategy = Closure.DELEGATE_FIRST

   return c

}

My guess is that the purpose of this is so that the closures passed to BackgroundTask can use methods from BackgroundTask without having to mention it.  BackgroundTask has a getMonitor method and I notice that the closures often just say "monitor" and expect to access the monitor in the BackgroundTask.

BackgroundTask was written by someone else a few years ago, gets used a fair bit, and has not been a problem.  Until now.

I want one of the tasks to pop up a window to display errors when it is done.  If there are errors.  So, I put something like

def swing = new SwingBuilder()

def frame = swing.edt {

}

at the end of the whenDone closure, and I get the error "No signature of method BackgroundTask.frame is applicable for ..."   This seems very weird to me.   I would have thought that frame() would have been handled by SwingBuilder, not BackgroundTask.   I am thinking that configBody has hacked the closures so they don't work, except that the closures it hacks are the ones that contain the SwingBuilder, not the ones that the SwingBuilder handles.  Based on what I know about Groovy, I would have expected SwingBuilder to continue to work inside these closures.

I tried moving the code that pops up the window.  It can be in the taskBody closure or the whenDone closure.   It can use the edt method of SwingBuilder or the frame method.  No matter what I do, I get the same kind of error.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-Ralph Johnson