Whoever wrote that type inference documentation should be commended, it is very good and very thorough. Very understandable and easy to read yet detailed enough even to satisfy the curiosity of “how did they get that to work?”. In fact, since moving out of Codehaus wiki, the documentation is far improved. From a user’s perspective I was concerned at first that a rewrite would take forever, but it didn’t and these new docs continue to impress each time I open them.

Jason

From: Cédric Champeau [mailto:cedric.champeau@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 4:19 AM
To: users@groovy.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: type checked with generics issue

Hi Jamie,

See http://docs.groovy-lang.org/latest/html/documentation/#_variables_vs_fields_in_type_inference for an explanation.

I'm confused about the type checking in one instance. Take this:

class Foo {

    String getBar() { "bar" }

}

@TypeChecked

class TestFoo {

    def foo = new Foo()

    void test() {

        assert foo.bar == "bar"

    }

}

If the def of foo is within the test() method it's fine, but where it is it seems not to be able to resolve the type (cannot resolve symbol "bar"). Why can't it infer the type - I don't see what will change the type between initialisation and the when the method is called.

cheers, jamie