groovy-users mailing list archives

From Dinko Srkoč <dinko.sr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: groovy.sql.Sql - When is the connection actually made?
Date Fri, 01 May 2015 10:49:58 GMT
Henson, sorry! It seems that I was wrong. If you made an Sql instance
by calling newInstance() then there would be only one JDBC connection
and it would be alive until close() is called explicitly, either
directly on the connection or on the Sql object itself, or when the
program terminates.

So, calling eachRow() actually uses existing connection, it does not
create another one. What gets closed is the ResultSet and Statement
objects.

When I answered your question it was 5 am in my time zone, and that is
my excuse. ;-)

Cheers,
Dinko

On 30 April 2015 at 21:46, Owen Rubel <orubel@gmail.com> wrote:
> That was why I asked about a connection pool. With a connection pool, it
> won't get dropped as long as it is active. but inactive connections go back
> into the pool. You can use a connection pool without having the overhead of
> having to create a connection everytime you need to make a call and without
> having to manage the connections yourself.
>
> Owen Rubel
> 415-971-0976
> orubel@gmail.com
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Henson Sturgill <henson.reset@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Owen, and Dinko.
>>
>> I was just asking how connections were made. My goal was to keep a single
>> connection open and test it, a growing number of minutes between tries, to
>> see when/if the connection was being dropped. But since the connection is
>> made on each execution, my code will most likely never fail.
>>
>> Thanks so much,
>> Henson
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 1:04 AM Owen Rubel <orubel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just in case you are asking about connection pools, you can use grails
>>> datasource for defining the pool.
>>>
>>> here's a good thread on that...
>>>

>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12291930/connection-pooling-and-prepared-statements-with-groovy-sql-sql-or-jdbc-in-grails

is