flume-user mailing list archives

From Adam Martinek <Adam.Marti...@rackspace.com>
Subject Memory channels w/ single source back pressure issue?
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2018 22:08:11 GMT
Hello,

My team recently had an issue that looks like it might be caused by some backpressure from
flume and I am having trouble finding information related to my investigations.

We have a single source that is writing to three memory channels (one for each DC we are sending
to) and multiple sinks writing to the kafka clusters in each DC. We had a connectivity issue
where two of our DC’s were no longer able to send to the kafka cluster in the third DC which
caused that memory channel to fill up. It appears that this one full channel has either create
backpressure on the process sending data into flume or slowed down the ability of flume to
read data in.

When our problem first started it looked like it might have been related to boxes that had
lower memory and then a significant amount of swap getting used but we were seeing similar
issues on other boxes that were never using any swap. Looking back at the some of some of
our grafana info during the issue seems to show EventsReceived in the hundreds rather than
in the 20k-40k range.

My team is using Flume 1.8.0.

Thanks,
Adam