flume-user mailing list archives

From Chris Horrocks <ch...@hor.rocks>
Subject Re: Kafka Sink random partition assignment
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2016 07:08:32 GMT
The producers bind to random partitions and move every 10 minutes. If you leave it long enough
you should see it in the producer flume agent logs, although there's nothing to stop it from
"randomly" choosing the same partition twice. Annoyingly there's no concept of producer groups
(yet) to ensure that producers apportion the available partitions between them as this would
create a synchronisation issue between what should be entirely independent processes.

--
Chris Horrocks

On 7 June 2016 at 00:32:29, Jason J. W. Williams (jasonjwwilliams@gmail.com(mailto:jasonjwwilliams@gmail.com))
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> New to flume and I'm trying to relay log messages received over netcat source to Kafka
sink.

> Everything seems to be fine, except that Flume is acting like it IS assigning a partition
key to the produced messages though none is assigned. I'd like the messages to be assigned
to a random partition, so that consumers are load balanced.

> * Flume 1.6.0
> * Kafka 0.9.0.1
>
> Flume config: https://gist.github.com/williamsjj/8ae025906955fbc4b5f990e162b75d7c
>
> Kafka topic config: kafka-topics --zookeeper localhost/kafka --create --topic activity.history
--partitions 20 --replication-factor 1

> Python consumer program: https://gist.github.com/williamsjj/9e67287f0154816c3a733a39ad008437

> Test program (publishes to Flume): https://gist.github.com/williamsjj/1eb097a187a3edb17ec1a3913e47e58b
>
> Flume agent listens on 3132tcp for connections, and publishes messages received to the
Kafka activity.history topic. I'm running two instances of the Python consumer.

> What happens however, is all logs messages get sent to a single Kafka consumer...if I
restart Flume (leave consumers running) and re-run the test, all messages get published to
the other consumer. So it feels like Flume is assigning a permanent partition key even though
one is not defined (and should therefore be random).