flume-user mailing list archives

From Roshan Naik <ros...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: HDFS Sink performance
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2015 02:48:49 GMT

My guess is that most of you will probably use File channel in production with HDFS sink?
In which scenario the common observation seems to be that the File channel becomes the primary
bottleneck. Going by Robert's observations too seems to have dropped also since v1.3.

Robert,  can u confirm how many data dirs  were used for your readings with FCh ?

-roshan

From: lohit <lohit.vijayarenu@gmail.com<mailto:lohit.vijayarenu@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 3:01 PM
To: "user@flume.apache.org<mailto:user@flume.apache.org>" <user@flume.apache.org<mailto:user@flume.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: HDFS Sink performance

Thanks for sharing these number Robert. Curious, I did the same experiment.
Flume 1.3.1 version has higher throughput than 1.6.0 (I was able to get sustained 60MB/s with
Flume 1.3.1)
No config or setup change, just changing flume version shows this difference. We should probably
look at change set between 1.3.1 and 1.5 to see if there was any obvious changes.

Here is a comparison between versions 1.3, 1.5, and 1.6.
I would estimate that error bars are plus or minus 15%.

All parameters are identical, as between runs all I change is the version of flume.
Lohit’s numbers are fairly consistent with this, because if we double the sinks from my
4 to his 8 and assuming linear scalability we would expect to get somewhere close to 30-40MB/s.

It looks like the drop off is more pronounced for the larger event size.  This is of concern
to us because we are looking at this for a high volume feed with message sizes up to 80 kB.

HDFSx4 sink, Memory channel
Payload     V1.3      v1.5     v1.6
(kB)              MB/s
1                    27         17         20
25                  56         15         15