flume-user mailing list archives

From Roshan Naik <ros...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: HDFS Sink performance
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2015 20:45:06 GMT
Yes.. My bad.. Been meaning to do it... will try to do it his week.
-roshan

From: Hari Shreedharan <hshreedharan@cloudera.com<mailto:hshreedharan@cloudera.com>>
Date: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 1:41 PM
To: "user@flume.apache.org<mailto:user@flume.apache.org>" <user@flume.apache.org<mailto:user@flume.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: HDFS Sink performance

Roshan - how about posting that on the Flume wiki?

Thanks,
Hari

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Roshan Naik <roshan@hortonworks.com<mailto:roshan@hortonworks.com>>
wrote:
Lohit,
You may want to search the mailing list for 'Flume perf measurements' . You should find the
recent measurements I posted.
-roshan

From: lohit <lohit.vijayarenu@gmail.com<mailto:lohit.vijayarenu@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 11:19 AM
To: "user@flume.apache.org<mailto:user@flume.apache.org>" <user@flume.apache.org<mailto:user@flume.apache.org>>

Thanks for the reply Hari. Multiple Sinks make sense, but this would also mean there is lot
more files on HDFS. I will try multiple sinks and see how fast this can go to.
Given that single HDFS stream can do much higher throughput, may be there is way to have threadpool
for SinkRunner-PollingRunner-DefaultSinkProcessor instead of single thread per sink.

Hi Lohit,

HDFS sinks (in fact, most sinks) are single-threaded by design. This is meant to make writing
the sinks easier, but all channels can handle multiple sinks reading from them. So to improve
the efficiency, you basically configure several sinks which read off the same channel. Make
sure that each sink though writes to files with different HDFS paths or different file prefixes
(else HDFS client API will complain about leases).

Thanks,
Hari

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 9:10 AM, lohit <lohit.vijayarenu@gmail.com<mailto:lohit.vijayarenu@gmail.com>>