flume-user mailing list archives

From Robert B Hamilton <robert.hamil...@gm.com>
Subject RE: log dump tool?
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2015 22:33:05 GMT
Resolved, thanks!
Based on this example I wrote a little tool that allows me to browse "put" events in the file
channel logs, displaying optionally both the headers and the event bodies.
More importantly for my present purpose, I added a method to replace the last N takes with
no-ops, which effectively forces (if checkpoint is removed) the takes to be replayed when
the agent is restarted.

 It gives me an emergency mechanism to recover any events that had been written to hdfs and
committed on the channel, but not yet flushed,  at the moment a flume server crashes.
I wonder if this may be of use to the flume community...

-----Original Message-----
From: Ashish [mailto:paliwalashish@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2015 8:19 AM
To: user@flume.apache.org
Subject: Re: log dump tool?

That's true. The simplest way to check is to modify the test case and in the validator use
System.out.println on the event body (which you would know how to decode). It should be up
and running in no time.

thanks
Ashish

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 8:50 PM, Robert B Hamilton <robert.hamilton@gm.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ashish and Hari and Gwen. Very nice example.
>
> It looks like it would not take much at all to make a variation that dumps Events from
a given datadir. Thanks!

a piece of custom code you’d supply:

>> bin/flume-ng tool FCINTEGRITYTOOL
>>
>> You can see the arguments you’d need to supply when you execute this command.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Hari Shreedharan
>>

>>> On Jun 8, 2015, at 7:30 PM, Robert B Hamilton <robert.hamilton@gm.com>
wrote:

>>> Is there anything like a logdump tool for flume file channel?
>>> Specifically I+IBk-m looking for some way to extract say the event data for the
last N puts.
>>> Alternatively can the logs be modified so that the last N (sink) commits will
be ignored on restart?

>>> The scenario that I+IBk-m concerned about is this:
>>>
>>> 1.       server crashes, flume is restarted once the server is brought back.
>>> 2.       End user sees something odd in his HiveQL and speculates that data was
lost.
>>> 3.       We peek into the WAL as they existed just before the restart (we saved
off a copy) and either
>>> a.       Find an event corresponding to the missing data and use that to fix
the data in the destination, or
>>> b.      Prove that the event corresponding to the missing data was not present
at least as far back as the logs go

>>> I+IBk-m just wondering if there is a tool which makes number 3 possible+ICY.
>>>

>>> Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless
a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

>>> Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.