flume-user mailing list archives

From Roshan Naik <ros...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Syslog TCP performances issue with filechannel
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 22:06:30 GMT
Couple suggestions for improving perf with FC:

  *   You have only one source, add more. This increases number of concurrent writes to the
file channel. You already have 4 sinks so that's fine. In my experience you can expect improvement
with upto 8 sinks.
  *   Use more dataDirs (even if using a single disk). In my experience increasing it upto
6 or 8 dataDirs helps.
  *   Like Hari said, try larger batch sizes. For 500 byte events, in my setup, I have seen
perf improve till batch sizes around 500k.

-roshan

From: Hari Shreedharan <hshreedharan@cloudera.com<mailto:hshreedharan@cloudera.com>>
Date: Thursday, March 5, 2015 2:42 PM
To: "user@flume.apache.org<mailto:user@flume.apache.org>" <user@flume.apache.org<mailto:user@flume.apache.org>>
Cc: "user@flume.apache.org<mailto:user@flume.apache.org>" <user@flume.apache.org<mailto:user@flume.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Syslog TCP performances issue with filechannel

So if you use the Multiport Syslog Source, you can specify a batch size - which is the size
of a transaction, and there is one fsync at the end of each transaction.

Regarding the tests - those were done over 2 years ago, using the Memory Channel.

Thanks,
Hari

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 1:11 AM, Smaine Kahlouch <smaine.kahlouch@smartjog.com<mailto:smaine.kahlouch@smartjog.com>>