flume-user mailing list archives

From Hari Shreedharan <hshreedha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Load Balancer
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:02:30 GMT
Most often, for HDFS, you'd need multiple sinks to drain the same
channel than one with a load balancer. Load balancing is mostly meant to
send data from one set of Flume agents to another set (tier 1 to 2), so
that even if one agent goes down, the data still goes to the others.
Adding more sinks or sink groups adds multithreading - so your drain
rates improve. Each sink group gets a thread - the thread chooses one of
the sinks to process the data from the channel. So for multithreading +
load balancing, you'd need several (possibly, identically configured,
but with different sinks) sink groups. Think of sinks outside of sink
groups as a sink group with just 1 sink.