flume-user mailing list archives

From Asim Zafir <asim.za...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flume with Kafka , Architecture.
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2015 21:40:24 GMT
Not sure what you mean by the Kafka+flume to HDFS but in our experience we
have seen significant data loss with flume being used as a transport
mechanism to sync data to HDFS. something haven't worked for us :

1) flume appenders on the source - installing appenders and flume agent on
the application server side and seriously cause performance issued.
appenders appears to reach into dead lock state due to thread locking.
2) log4j v 1 and appenders are bad option with flume
3)log4jv2 + embedded agent solves the problem of thread locking relieves
the stress on the application servers - since now you have 1 less jvm to
manage, so no performance issues there. for any high traffic server
generating data it really works
4)flume has issues with some meta character (some specific UTF code) and it
will truncate to commit to the data pipeline if struck with those if the
read on that character is outside the limit of that read buffer - since
there is no loggin, its painful to even troubleshoot.

thanks,
Asim Zafir