Guy,

What version of flume is this?

-Jeff

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 1:19 AM, Needham, Guy <Guy.Needham@virginmedia.co.uk> wrote:
Hi all,

I have a configuration with a file channel configured such that:

a1.channels.ch1.type = file
a1.channels.ch1.checkpointDir = /hadoop/user/flume/channels/checkpoint
a1.channels.ch1.dataDirs = /hadoop/user/flume/channels/data
a1.channels.ch1.capacity = 100000
a1.channels.ch1.transactionCapacity = 5000

It's been running since October 28th with no issues, but when I looked today in /hadoop/user/flume/channels/data I saw that the file channel was building up large files which had been processed and not deleting them:

[rdd@hadoop-kn-p2-m01 flume]$ ls -lh channels/data/
total 1.6G
-rw-r----- 1 rdd rdd 1.5G Oct 28 16:10 log-1
-rw-r----- 1 rdd rdd   47 Oct 28 16:10 log-1.meta
-rw-r----- 1 rdd rdd  72M Oct 31 16:28 log-2
-rw-r----- 1 rdd rdd   47 Oct 31 16:29 log-2.meta
It seems like for each day that data landed (we're still in testing so data not landing constantly) a data file has been created but not deleted when reading was completed.
Is this expected behaviour? Is there a way to stop large files building up and still use the file channel?
Regards,
Guy Needham | Data Discovery
Virgin Media | Enterprise Data, Design & Management
Bartley Wood Business Park, Hook, Hampshire RG27 9UP
D 01256 75 3362
I welcome VSRE emails. Learn more at http://vsre.info/

Save Paper - Do you really need to print this e-mail?

Visit www.virginmedia.com for more information, and more fun.

This email and any attachments are or may be confidential and legally privileged
and are sent solely for the attention of the addressee(s). If you have received this
email in error, please delete it from your system: its use, disclosure or copying is
unauthorised. Statements and opinions expressed in this email may not represent
those of Virgin Media. Any representations or commitments in this email are
subject to contract.

Registered office: Media House, Bartley Wood Business Park, Hook, Hampshire, RG27 9UP