flume-user mailing list archives

From "Hari Shreedharan" <hshreedha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: FlumeTools/FileChannelIntegrityTool
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2014 21:41:22 GMT
What version of Flume is this? Can you use the current trunk or 1.5? Did you run out of disk
space at some point? or truncate the file?

Thanks,
Hari

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Andy Yang <ayang_ml@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Hi Hari,
> Yes, I managed to get the tool to actually do something:
> java -cp "/usr/lib/flume-ng/lib/*" org.apache.flume.tools.FlumeToolsMain FCINTEGRITYTOOL
-l /path/to/.flume/file-channel/data
> but it looks like it just gives me the same exception that Flume itself throws when trying
to restart:
> Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: Unable to read next Transaction from
log file /path/to/.flume/file-channel/data/log-xxx at offset 513457598
>     at org.apache.flume.channel.file.LogFile$SequentialReader.next(LogFile.java:628)
>     at org.apache.flume.tools.FileChannelIntegrityTool.run(FileChannelIntegrityTool.java:87)
>     at org.apache.flume.tools.FlumeToolsMain.run(FlumeToolsMain.java:64)
>     at org.apache.flume.tools.FlumeToolsMain.main(FlumeToolsMain.java:31)
> Caused by: com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException: While parsing a protocol
message, the input ended unexpectedly in the middle of a field.  This could mean either than
the input has been truncated or that an embedded message misreported its own length.
>     at com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException.truncatedMessage(InvalidProtocolBufferException.java:49)
>     at com.google.protobuf.CodedInputStream.refillBuffer(CodedInputStream.java:711)
>     at com.google.protobuf.CodedInputStream.readRawBytes(CodedInputStream.java:776)
>     at com.google.protobuf.CodedInputStream.readBytes(CodedInputStream.java:294)
>     at com.google.protobuf.UnknownFieldSet$Builder.mergeFieldFrom(UnknownFieldSet.java:484)
>     at com.google.protobuf.UnknownFieldSet$Builder.mergeFrom(UnknownFieldSet.java:461)
>     at com.google.protobuf.UnknownFieldSet$Builder.mergeFrom(UnknownFieldSet.java:579)
>     at com.google.protobuf.UnknownFieldSet$Builder.mergeFrom(UnknownFieldSet.java:280)
>     at com.google.protobuf.CodedInputStream.readGroup(CodedInputStream.java:240)
>     at com.google.protobuf.UnknownFieldSet$Builder.mergeFieldFrom(UnknownFieldSet.java:488)
>     at com.google.protobuf.GeneratedMessage$Builder.parseUnknownField(GeneratedMessage.java:438)
>     at org.apache.flume.channel.file.proto.ProtosFactory$Put$Builder.mergeFrom(ProtosFactory.java:3444)
>     at org.apache.flume.channel.file.proto.ProtosFactory$Put$Builder.mergeFrom(ProtosFactory.java:3300)
>     at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessageLite$Builder.mergeFrom(AbstractMessageLite.java:212)
>     at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessage$Builder.mergeFrom(AbstractMessage.java:746)
>     at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessage$Builder.mergeFrom(AbstractMessage.java:238)
>     at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessageLite$Builder.mergeDelimitedFrom(AbstractMessageLite.java:282)
>     at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessage$Builder.mergeDelimitedFrom(AbstractMessage.java:760)
>     at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessageLite$Builder.mergeDelimitedFrom(AbstractMessageLite.java:288)
>     at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessage$Builder.mergeDelimitedFrom(AbstractMessage.java:752)
>     at org.apache.flume.channel.file.proto.ProtosFactory$Put.parseDelimitedFrom(ProtosFactory.java:3257)
>     at org.apache.flume.channel.file.Put.readProtos(Put.java:98)
>     at org.apache.flume.channel.file.TransactionEventRecord.fromByteArray(TransactionEventRecord.java:204)
>     at org.apache.flume.channel.file.LogFileV3$SequentialReader.doNext(LogFileV3.java:359)
>     at org.apache.flume.channel.file.LogFile$SequentialReader.next(LogFile.java:624)
>     ... 3 more
> So, I guess "Unable to read next transaction" due to "While parsing a protocol message,
the input ended unexpectedly in the middle of a field" is not the kind of file channel integrity
problem the tool can fix.
> Which leads me to ask, "is there anything else we can do with this file channel beyond
discarding all the data currently persisted within?"
> Thanks,
> Andy
> On Monday, November 3, 2014 2:05 PM, Hari Shreedharan <hshreedharan@cloudera.com>
wrote:

> You need to specify only the data directories(comma-separated), the channel will look
at all the files  in the directory.
> Thanks,
> Hari
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Andy Yang <ayang_ml@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Has anyone ever used the File Channel Integrity Tool released as part of Flume 1.4.0?
There is absolutely no documentation on it but an outstanding JIRA issue from last year to
write some.

>>I've been poking it with a stick as follows:
>>
>>java -cp "/usr/lib/flume-ng/lib/*" org.apache.flume.tools.FlumeToolsMain FCINTEGRITYTOOL
-l /path/to/.flume/file-channel/data/log-xxx