flume-user mailing list archives

From Jean <lagaru...@yahoo.fr>
Subject Re: Flume Syslog source
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2014 20:25:24 GMT
Hi,
Why the multiport sylog is better than the standard syslog source ?
I have many agents with syslog source (>5M events/day) and didn't notice any performance
problem.
Jean
> Le 16 oct. 2014 à 17:22, Jeff Lord <jlord@cloudera.com> a écrit :
>
> You will get better perf out of the multiport syslog source
>
>> On Wednesday, October 15, 2014, Sharninder <sharninder@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just looked at the existing syslogtcp source and it seems it does take pains to
parse the hostname from the message and I think that is the best bet for me. Ofcourse, it
might fail for a few devices, but I'll just have to think of something else for those.

>> --
>> Sharninder
>>

>>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Sharninder <sharninder@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Yes Jeff. That's a possiblity but I'm not sure (actually pretty sure) that there
would be a some random device which will not send their logs in the proper format and my regex
will break. This is the way I'll implement it if I can't find anything better.

>>> Thanks,
>>> Sharninder

(assuming it's there) and put that in an event header. From there you can route and create
partitions with the header.

was received to the event headers. You can use with a multiplexing channel selector to separate
this to different channels.

I've played around with it a bit but haven't really been able to figure out a way to segregate
logs according to the host they're coming from? Is there a way for me to add the hostname
to the event header somehow? I can then use either an interceptor to read the header or even
a custom sink to deal with events based on the hostname.