The spooling directory source runs as part of the agent.
The source also needs write access to the files as it renames them upon completion of ingest. Perhaps you could use rsync to copy the files somewhere that you have write access to?

Thanks Jeff.  This is useful.  Can the spoolDir be on a different machine?  We may have to setup a different process to copy files into 'spoolDir', right?  Note:  We have 'read only' access to these files.  Any recommendations about this?