flume-user mailing list archives

From Umesh Telang <Umesh.Tel...@bbc.co.uk>
Subject RE: checkpoint lifecycle
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2014 15:29:37 GMT

From: Brock Noland [brock@cloudera.com]
Sent: 30 January 2014 14:38
To: user@flume.apache.org
Subject: Re: checkpoint lifecycle

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 8:16 AM, Umesh Telang <Umesh.Telang@bbc.co.uk<mailto:Umesh.Telang@bbc.co.uk>>
wrote:

Hi Brock,

Our heap size is 2GB.

That is not enough heap for 150M events. It's 150 million * 32 bytes = 4.5GB + say 100-500MB
for the rest of Flume.

Thanks for the advice on data directories. Could you please let me know the heuristic for
that?   (e.g. 1 data directory per N-sized channel where N is...)

File channel at present cannot utilize an entire disk from a IO perspective, that is why I
suggest multiple disks. Of course you'll want to ensure that you have enough disk to support
a full channel, but that is a different discussion (avg event size * channel size).

Thanks also for suggesting back up checkpoints - are these something that increases the integrity
of Flume's execution in an automatic fashion, or does it aid in some form of manual recovery?

Automatic. If flume is killed or shutdown during a checkpoint that checkpoint is invalid and
unless a backup checkpoint exists a full replay will have to take place. Furthermore, without
FLUME-2155 full replays are very time consuming under certain conditions.

Re: FLUME-2155, I've scanned through it, and will read it in more detail. I'm not sure about
the unit of measurement for some of the metrics (milliseconds?), but is there any guidance
as to at which order of magnitude (10^4, 10^6 or 10^8 ?) the channel size causes the replay
issue to become apparent?

It's not purely about channel size. Specifically it's about:

1) Large channel size
2) Having a large number of events in your channel (queue depth)
3) Having run the channel for some time such that old WAL's were cleaned up (causing there
to be removes for which no event exists)
4) Performing a full replay in these conditions

Generally I wouldn't go over a 1M channel size without backup checkpoint, this change, or
both. There are more details here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLUME-2155?focusedCommentId=13841465&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13841465

Brock

http://www.bbc.co.uk
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are
not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify
the sender immediately.