flume-user mailing list archives

From Hari Shreedharan <hshreedha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Avro 2 Avro transfer on Flume 1.3 screamingly slow
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2013 17:06:43 GMT
Are you sure it is not the spooling directory source that is not able to write more data. What
makes you think that it is avro sink to source that tis the issue? It just might be that your
source is not writing data fast enough or your channel is getting full too fast and the channel
is backing off too often?

Thanks,
Hari

On Monday, November 11, 2013 at 7:16 AM, Christopher Shannon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get a decent throughput rate of transfer for an Avro sink to Avro Source
transfer, but the best I've been able to get is about 300 records a minute. This thread (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/flume-user/201309.mbox/%3cCAHsgzwvDBDvpzR4-19DsJjTokSv0BTQrQMRn5gRJ87LcmjK7iQ@mail.gmail.com%3e)
on the mailing list suggests that hardware and disk partitioning is the main consideration
to achieving good throughput.

> My setup is simple:
>
> Agent 1:
> Source: SpoolingDirectory
> Channel: Memory
> Sink: Avro
>
> Agent 2:
> Source: Avro
> Channel: Memory
> Sink: HDFS
>
> So, what else needs to be done to optimize the data transfer?
>
> All the best,
>
> Chris
>
> p.s. Anticipating suggestion that I upgrade to Flume 1.4, I work for a big company that
has acquired Flume bundled through another product from an even bigger company. They will
not consider an upgrade at this time. (And given the very slow throughput I'm seeing, I would
think that 1.3 can do a lot better.)