flume-user mailing list archives

From Josh <josh.my...@mydrivesolutions.com>
Subject Get Flume 'bad' event out of channel.
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 10:52:49 GMT
Hi Guys,

I know this was covered back in May (not so long ago) but was wondering if there has been
any movement on this?

We have written a custom serializer to take data from an http data source using the JSON handler.
The data source gets sent JSON from our pipeline, which checks that all needed headers are
present for serialization and raises exceptions if not, but we have seen a few events come
in that cannot be serialized due to missing parts of JSON or any number of other reasons.
Currently I can't see a way to get these out of the channel without:

a) chucking out the whole channel and everything in it.
b) attaching a custom sink/serializer to the channel which is not so fussy to pass the event.

Neither of these really seem like great options. We are using file channels and all data that
is written to disk looks to be in binary format. If needed, as a last resort, could we write
a tool to pull java objects out of a channel and write the rest back into the channel? Are
there any plans to implement anything of this kind already?

As previously suggested I would be nice to be able to:

a) Dump the event to a data file and throw a warning in the log messages?
b) Throw the event away
c) Move the event to an alternate channel where it can be handled differently

Thanks,
Josh
--
www.mydrivesolutions.com

This email and any attachments is private and confidential. If you have
received this message in error please remove it from your systems and
notify the author.
MyDrive Solutions Limited is registered in England and Wales, No 07330334.
Registered office: Surrey Technology Centre, 40 Occam Road, Guildford GU2
7YG, UK