flume-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Using Flume *only* for tailing?
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2013 23:02:26 GMT
Hi Alex,

Sorry, no, I didn't mean tailing of N files into one file.

What I'm wondering is whether I could "steal" a few Flume classes that handle the tailing
functionality without having to use all of Flume.
Imagine I want to use Flume's tailing functionality in my app, so I want to use Flume as a
library.... not being familiar with Flume's APIs, imagine if in my app I wanted to do this:

FlumeTail ft = new FlumeTail(new MyLineHandler());
ft.addFile("/tmp/foo.log");
ft.exec()

class MyLineHandler extends SomeBaseFlumeLineHandler {
  void handleLine(String line) {
    // do whatever I want with that 'line'
  }
}

So my questions are:
* Is something like the above even possible?
* Could I borrow a few Flume classes just for doing something like the above?

Thanks,
Otis
----
Monitoring for Solr / ElasticSearch / HBase / Hadoop - http://sematext.com/spm