flume-user mailing list archives

From Mike Percy <mpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Writing to HDFS from multiple HDFS agents (separate machines)
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 01:46:46 GMT
Hi Gary,
All the suggestions in this thread are good. Something else to consider is
that adding multiple HDFS sinks pulling from the same channel is a
recommended practice to maximize performance (competing consumers pattern).
In that case, not only would it be a good idea to put the data into
directories that are specific to the hostname of the Flume agent writing to
HDFS, you will also need to do something like number the HDFS sink path (or
filePrefix) to indicate which HDFS sink wrote out the event, in order to
prevent name collisions.

Example:

# add hostname interceptor to your source as described above

# hdfs sinks...
agent.sinks.hdfs-1.path = /some/path/%{host}/1/web-events
# … snip ...
agent.sinks.hdfs-2.path = /some/path/%{host}/2/web-events
# … etc ...

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Mike