flume-user mailing list archives

From Deepak Tiwari <dtiwari...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flume secure communication
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2013 12:29:24 GMT
Thanks Inder and Mike.

My only thought was that since security has been a prime concern when we
transfer any data, so what could be the reason that its was not given as
much priority as it could have been. Could it be because since the transfer
in RPC and using avro serialized data, so its not same as transferring in
plain text and It might be difficult if not impossible for someone to troll?

Regards,

Deepak

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM, Inder Pall <inder.pall@gmail.com> wrote:

> As a cheap solution you can always setup a ssh tunnel through port
> forwarding to do this outside of flume...though it would need to be managed
> for timeouts/network errors
>
> Inder
>

> On Tuesday, March 12, 2013, Mike Percy wrote:
>
>> No network encryption support yet but there is a patch up at
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLUME-997 for this functionality.
>> You are welcome to take a look and provide any comments. Not sure what you
>> mean by #2, you would have to share more about your requirements / use case.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mike
>>
>> On Mar 11, 2013, at 11:26 PM, Deepak Tiwari <dtiwari356@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have to install Flume and ensure that data transfer from Agent to
>>> Collector to Sink is secure enough. I noticed that some changes related ssl
>>> in FLUME-13 and that is very old. I see some discussion at
>>> http://search-hadoop.com/m/Unjdh2ovsNE/v=plain but I dont know if there
>>> is any update after.
>>>
>>> I request someone, if possible to give a qualified answer to
>>>
>>> 1. Is encryption possible in the Agent to Collector to Sink
>>> communication.
>>> 2. If not, does that mean RPC communication is secure enough if not
>>> encrypted.