Absolutely Mike thank you.

Specifically though it would be nice to be able to feedback the results from an external process (such as Mahout or Storm) into a Flume channel/sink?

-Steve

From: Mike Percy <mpercy@apache.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 14:09:04 -0800
To: "user@flume.apache.org" <user@flume.apache.org>
Cc: Nitin Pawar <nitinpawar432@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Analysis of Data

Steven,
Any reason you are not using interceptors for that? Can you provide more detail on what you are doing?

See more about Interceptors here: http://flume.apache.org/FlumeUserGuide.html#flume-interceptors

Regards

Mike

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 3:34 AM, <syates@stevendyates.com> wrote:
Hi Nitin,

Would it be feasible to consider the addition of another extension point with Flume for the purposes of custom filtering, enrichment, routing etc. Without trying to envision Flume away into something it was never designed for (i.e without going overboard) The concept of some sort of intermediate processing unit is quite attractive to me personally as I have my dedicated AvroSources purely for aggregating data however in the interest of modularisation I may want to perform some enrichment/filtering exercise before I dump the events on my durable channel. I guess the conversation of flow and some sort of declarative way of configuring the ordering of the processing units etc. Just thinking out loud.

@Nitin/Mike , your experience in the field will assist in validating this further

-Steve

Quoting Nitin Pawar <nitinpawar432@gmail.com>:

Mike, Yes

I am not against the approach flume doing it. I would love to see it part
of flume (it ofcourse helps to remove overload of one processing engine).
As flume already supports the grouping of agents to the normal route of
acquisition  and sink can continue.

In another route, we can have it to sink to a processor source of flume
which then converts the data and runs quick analysis on data in memory and
update the global counters kind of things which then can be sink to live
reporting systems.

Thanks,
Nitin