Yes, I think so.

I had to make 4 small changes.

Unfortunately I couldn’t subclass these classes, but I could reuse most of the code.

·         First I added an “auth” configuration option to AvroSource and AvroSink, to be able to enable / disable authentication.

·         AvroSource#start()

Responder responder = new SpecificResponder(AvroSourceProtocol.class, this);
if (auth) {
    responder.addRPCPlugin(
new AuthenticatorRPCPlugin());
}

·         AvroSink#createConnection()

Instead of using RpcClientFactory:
client = RpcClientFactory.getInstance(clientProps);

I create my own RpcClient (I didn’t want to modify RpcClientFactory):
client = new AuthNettyAvroRpcClient(auth, ...);

·         AuthNettyAvroRpcClient#connect(long, java.util.concurrent.TimeUnit)

Instead of getting a client using the Transceiver:
avroClient = SpecificRequestor.getClient(AvroSourceProtocol.Callback.class, transceiver);

I get a client using a Requestor:
SpecificRequestor requestor = new SpecificRequestor(AvroSourceProtocol.Callback.class, transceiver);
if (auth) {
    requestor.addRPCPlugin(
new AuthenticatorRPCPlugin());
}
avroClient = SpecificRequestor.getClient(AvroSourceProtocol.Callback.class, requestor);

The AuthenticatorRPCPlugin is an org.apache.avro.ipc.RPCPlugin with 3 methods overriden to exchange the authentication data during the Avro handshake:

1.       clientStartConnect(org.apache.avro.ipc.RPCContext)
This is called on the client, before the handshake.

2.       serverConnecting(org.apache.avro.ipc.RPCContext)
This is called on the server. The connection will be aborted, if an exception is thrown here.

3.       clientFinishConnect(org.apache.avro.ipc.RPCContext)
This is called on the client, after the handshake.

The org.apache.avro.ipc.RPCContext#getHandshakeRequest() returns an org.apache.avro.ipc.HandshakeRequest which contains a java.util.Map<java.lang.String, java.nio.ByteBuffer> where I could store the authentication data (org.apache.avro.ipc.HandshakeRequest#getMeta and org.apache.avro.ipc.HandshakeRequest#setMeta methods).

This might not be the nicest way to implement authentication, but this way it’s pretty much transparent to Flume.

I think it would be pretty easy to implement some kind of encryption too using the other org.apache.avro.ipc.RPCPlugin methods.

Regards,

Rudolf