Hi,

This error is coming because it needs some other jar from FLUME_HOME/lib/ I can’t tell you name of specific jar but I was facing same problem.Put jetty,Jackson,avro,slf4 and some more from  FLUME_HOME/lib/ because every time you will run your script  will give you different error like java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError

From: Dongliang Sun [mailto:davidsundl@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 11:36 AM
To: cwoodson.dev@gmail.com; Chhaya Vishwakarma; user@flume.apache.org
Subject: Re: Could not instantiate class org.apache.flume.clients.log4jappender

REGISTER and -Dpig.additional.libraries both do not work, same error, could not find the class.

If put the particular jars in pig's lib, the following error:

Error before Pig is launched
----------------------------
ERROR 2998: Unhandled internal error. org/jboss/netty/channel/ChannelFactory

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jboss/netty/channel/ChannelFactory
        at org.apache.flume.api.RpcClientFactory.getDefaultInstance(RpcClientFactory.java:168)
        at org.apache.flume.api.RpcClientFactory.getDefaultInstance(RpcClientFactory.java:128)
        at org.apache.flume.clients.log4jappender.Log4jAppender.activateOptions(Log4jAppender.java:184)
        at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java:257)
        at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:133)
        at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:97)
        at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseAppender(PropertyConfigurator.java:689)
        at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:647)
        at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCatsAndRenderers(PropertyConfigurator.java:568)
        at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:442)
        at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configure(PropertyConfigurator.java:367)
        at org.apache.pig.Main.configureLog4J(Main.java:678)
        at org.apache.pig.Main.run(Main.java:337)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jboss.netty.channel.ChannelFactory
        ... 19 more