flume-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wget.n...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: In flume-ng is there any advantages of 2-tier topology in a cluster of 30-40 nodes?
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2013 06:26:13 GMT
Hi,

If the agents (Tier 1) have access to HDFS, each single client can put data into HDFS. But
this doesn't make really sense, instead you want different files from different hosts in a
structured view (maybe per host a directory, the contents inside split into buckets).

When you implement a Tier 2 (maybe 2 or more servers who has access to HDFS), you can have
more features like loadbalancing, HA and mirrored sinks, as example (one sink put the data
into HDFS, the other sink into a other system for backup maybe). For stability and reliability
a Tier 2 architecture is recommend. And made some things easier ;)

Cheers,
 Alex

On Jan 30, 2013, at 7:05 AM, Jagadish Bihani <jagadish.bihani@pubmatic.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> In our scenario there are around 30 machines from which we want to put data into HDFS.
>
> Now the approach we thought of initially was:
>
> 1. First tier  : Agent which collect data from source then pass it to avro sink.
> 2. Second tier:  Lets call those agents 'collectors' which collect data from First tier
agents and then dump it to HDFS.

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com