flume-user mailing list archives

From "Kartashov, Andy" <Andy.Kartas...@mpac.ca>
Subject RE: Flume to stream logs live
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2012 16:20:02 GMT
Thank you for your suggestions: Mr. Chavez , Mr. Lorenz, Mr. Dechoux and Mr. Connolly,

I just managed to successfully configure flume to push logs from windows box, running behind
Proxy,  to the Avro-agent, running on Linux box, and without Cygwin.. by just running JVM
process. So happy.

Cheers,
AK47

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexander Lorenz [mailto:wget.null@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 2:58 AM
To: user@flume.apache.org
Subject: Re: Flume to stream logs live

Hey,

fluentd is a good tip, they have a custom sink:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLUME/Flume+NG+Plugins

This could work.

Best,
 Alex

On Dec 17, 2012, at 2:33 AM, Juhani Connolly <juhani_connolly@cyberagent.co.jp> wrote:

> If you can't get flume running on windows your alternatives look like syslog, scribed
and fluentd. We used scribed before moving to flume, but tbh, it can be a pain to compile
and the hdfs support on it is not the best, we had data loss if there was an hdfs restart
etc. I can't say much about the other two

> On 12/14/2012 11:47 PM, Kartashov, Andy wrote:
>>
>> Flummers,
>>
>> Loved working with Flume 1.2 -- very easy and simple configuration, it was a pleasure
to work with. Managed to "tail --F" logs from unix server and into a hdfs cluster. The problem
started when I also needed to push logs from a Windows application server.  Spent three days
researching on how to install flume on Windows and run  a deamon/agent that will push the
logs to the Avro source I successfully configured and ran on Unix. No luck. So I am looking
t alternative. Is there other framework available out there to help me with my issue. What
about scribe?

>> NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments are confidential, subject to copyright
and may be privileged. Any unauthorized use, copying or disclosure is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please delete and contact the sender immediately. Please consider
the environment before printing this e-mail. AVIS : le présent courriel et toute pièce jointe
qui l'accompagne sont confidentiels, protégés par le droit d'auteur et peuvent être couverts
par le secret professionnel. Toute utilisation, copie ou divulgation non autorisée est interdite.
Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu de ce courriel, supprimez-le et contactez immédiatement
l'expéditeur. Veuillez penser à l'environnement avant d'imprimer le présent courriel