flume-user mailing list archives

From "DeCarlo, Thom" <tdeca...@mitre.org>
Subject RE: Question about the Setting up Eclipse wiki page
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 16:13:07 GMT
Hi Brock,
I tried it that way first, but the difference between maven-eclipse and m2eclipse gave me
problems. (I am using m2eclipse.) Following those instructions, I got the ' "Updating Maven
Project". Unsupported IClasspathEntry kind=4' error that is explained in this stackoverflow
page: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10564684/how-to-fix-error-updating-maven-project-unsupported-iclasspathentry-kind-4

Hmmm... I just realized that this discussion probably belongs over of the developer's email
list. What do you think?

--
Thom DeCarlo

-----Original Message-----
From: Brock Noland [mailto:brock@cloudera.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:54 AM
To: user@flume.apache.org
Subject: Re: Question about the Setting up Eclipse wiki page

Hi,

I use the method mentioned on that page:

$ mkdir apache-flume
$ cd apache-flume
$ git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flume.git
$ cd flume
$ mvn install -DskipTests
$ mvn eclipse:eclipse -DdownloadSources -DdownloadJavadocs

Add $HOME/.m2/repository to the my classpath in preferences.
Import the projects.

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM, DeCarlo, Thom <tdecarlo@mitre.org> wrote:
> Well, to answer my own question...
>
> I was mostly successful by simply creating a new (empty) eclipse workspace and make sure
that the Preferences->Java->Installed JREs actually points at your JDK, and not the
JRE. (otherwise nothing will compile)

selector, then enter the URL for the git repository. (https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flume.git)
> Click "Finish" and eclipse (+ m2eclipse) handles checking out the Flume trunk and creating
all of the projects.

> A couple problems remain in the POM files, though.
>
> In flume-ng-sdk/pom.xml and the flume-avro-source/pom.xml, Eclipse is showing errors
in the definition of the avro-maven-plugin and the paranamer-maven-plugin. In each it says,

>     Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: org.apache.avro:avro-maven-plugin:1.6.1:idl-protocol
(execution: default, phase: generate-sources)

> I can guess what the error means, but I have no idea how to fix it.
> --
> Thom DeCarlo

the basic instructions say that I can use either the maven-eclipse plugin or the m2eclipse
plugin. But, it only shows how to use the maven-eclipse plugin. Are the instructions the same
for m2eclipse? The implication that I get from the page is no.