flume-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wget.n...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Max Event Size
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 07:41:11 GMT
Hi Kevin,

The eventsize vs. capacity slot size is defined in "flume-ng-core/src/main/java/org/apache/flume/channel/MemoryChannel.java"
via:

int eventByteSize = (int)Math.ceil(estimateEventSize(event)/byteCapacitySlotSize);

and will later throw out a error:
throw new ChannelException("Put queue for MemoryTransaction of capacity " +
              putList.size() + " full, consider committing more frequently, " +
              "increasing capacity or increasing thread count");

Can you use FileChannel instead of MemoryChannel, just for testing?
http://flume.apache.org/FlumeUserGuide.html#file-channel

Cheers,
 Alex

On Nov 24, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Lichen <kevinli.li@huawei.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> I don't see any errors/warning with DEBUG.
>
> Here is the problem: if I tried to read a line larger than 2.5 MB and send via memory
channel, the sink lost it and won't receive anything afterwards.

> Here is the configuration I tried:
>
> Source: exec. I tried both cat/tail command, and a Java program to read lines from file
and print to stdout.
> Channel: memory channel and file channel. I think capacity of memory channel is about
the size of the queue of events, which won't affect the max size of an event.
> Sink: both HDFS and Fill-Roll. They are able to receive short events before large events
come.

> Can you suggest what to configure? I'm using Flume 1.2.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin
>
> On Nov 23, 2012, at 6:34 PM, Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wget.null@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Kevin,
>
> This depends on your memory configuration. When you start flume with DEBUG did you got
some errors / warning?

> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> P.S. http://flume.apache.org/FlumeUserGuide.html#exec-source
>

> On Nov 23, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Lichen <kevinli.li@huawei.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I tried to use exec source to tail a file of which each line is few MB. The File-Roll/HDFS
sinks received nothing in this case, while work fine with other short lines. Is it because
of the maximum size of a single event? What parameter to set if it's configurable.

>> Thanks
>>
>> Kevin
>
> --
> Alexander Alten-Lorenz