flume-user mailing list archives

From "Camp, Roy" <rc...@ebay.com>
Subject RE: Using Python and Flume to store avro data
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2012 19:52:05 GMT
We use thrift to send from Python, PHP & Java.  Unfortunately with Flume-NG you must use
the legacyThrift source which works well but does not handle a confirmation/ack back to the
app.  We have found that failures usually result in connection exception thus allowing us
to reconnect and retry so we have virtually no data loss. Everything downstream from that
localhost Flume instance (after written to the file channel) is E2E safe.

Roy

-----Original Message-----
From: Juhani Connolly [mailto:juhani_connolly@cyberagent.co.jp]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:46 PM
To: user@flume.apache.org
Subject: Re: Using Python and Flume to store avro data

Hi Bart,

we send data  from python to the scribe source and it works fine. We had everything set up
in scribe before which made the switchover simple. If you don't mind the extra overhead of
http, go for that, but if you want to keep things to a minimum, using the scribe source can
be viable.

You can't send data to avro because the python support in avro is missing the appropriate
encoder(I can't remember what it was, I'd have to check over the code again)