My application servers produce data files that are in compressed format (gzip). I am planning to use flume ng (1.2.0) to collect those files and transfer them to hadoop cluster (write to HDFS). Is it possible to read and transfer them without uncomressing first? My sink would be HDFS and there are options to compress before writing to HDFS. That would work fine if my source is uncompressed text file and need to store hdfs file in compressed format. But in my case, the source itself is compressed. What would be the best options to handle such cases?

Thanks for your help.

Sadu