flume-user mailing list archives

From Denny Ye <denny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: File Channel performance and fsync
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 13:38:26 GMT
hi Jagadish,
   I have tested performance of FileChannel recently. Here I can support
the test report to you for your thinking and questions at this thread.
    Talking about the comparison between FileChannel and File Sink.
FileChannel supports both sequential writer and random reader, there have
so many times shift of magnetic head, it's slow than the sequential writing
much more.
    'fsync' command has consuming much time than writing, almost
100times/sec, same as number mentioned from Brock. Also, I didn't know why
there have such difference between your two servers. I think it might be
related with OS version (usage between fsync and fdatasync instruction) or
disk driver (RAID, caching strategy, and so on).
    Throughput of single FileChannel is almost 3-5MB/sec in my environment.
Thus I used 5 channels with 18MB/sec. It's hard to believe the linear
increasing with more channels. Meanwhile, it look like the limit of
throughput with 'fsync' operation. I tested another case without 'fsync'
operation after each batch, almost 35-40MB/sec(Also, I removed the
pre-allocation at disk writing in this case).
    Hope useful for you.

   PS : I heard that OS has demon thread to flush page cache to
disk asynchronously with second latency, does it's effective for amount of
data with tolerant loss?

-Regards
Denny Ye