flume-user mailing list archives

From Hari Shreedharan <hshreedha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Help determining exit code from flume avro-client
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 23:32:40 GMT
It'd be great if you could submit the patch upstream to Flume! :-)

--
Hari Shreedharan

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Paul Chavez wrote:

> Thank you, I was unsure if that was desired behavior or not. I updated the class as a
POC to add exit codes for each of those catch blocks and it works great.

> Thanks,
> Paul

even if there was an exception. I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLUME-1670 to
address this.

> Thanks,
> Hari
>
> --
> Hari Shreedharan
>

> On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Paul Chavez wrote:
>
> > I am working on getting the flume avro-client functionality working on Windows,
and am currently stuck on how to determine if the file was sent successfully.

> > I used the blog post at http://mapredit.blogspot.com/2012/07/run-flume-13x-on-windows.html
to guide me and have built the 1.4.0 snapshot successfully. I can manually send files along
to flume using the ''org.apache.flume.client.avro.AvroCLIClient" class.

> > The full command I am using is invoked via batch file with the following single
line:
> > "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_37\bin\java.exe" -Xmx20m -Dlog4j.configuration=file:///C:\apache-flume-1.4.0-SNAPSHOT\conf\log4j.properties
-cp "C:\apache-flume-1.4.0-SNAPSHOT\lib\*" org.apache.flume.client.avro.AvroCLIClient -H 10.20.2.8
-p 6240 -F%1

> > My intention is to invoke from Powershell like so:
> > .\flume.bat C:\IISLogs\W3SVC100\u_ex121029.log
> >
> > This is working well and I am able to successfully send IIS and our app logs to
flume and then onto HDFS without issues. Now I am trying to automate the process, and need
to know if the operation failed for some reason. If I simply turn off the flume source I can
trigger an error which is dumped to console like so (using flume.root.logger=DEBUG,console
in the log4j file):

> > 2012-10-30 11:14:22,185 (main) [ERROR - org.apache.flume.client.avro.AvroCLIClient.main(AvroCLIClient.java:76)]
Unable t
> > o open connection to Flume. Exception follows.
> > org.apache.flume.FlumeException: NettyAvroRpcClient { host: x.x.x.x, port: 6240
}: RPC connection error
> >         at org.apache.flume.api.NettyAvroRpcClient.connect(NettyAvroRpcClient.java:117)
> >         at org.apache.flume.api.NettyAvroRpcClient.connect(NettyAvroRpcClient.java:93)
> >         at org.apache.flume.api.NettyAvroRpcClient.configure(NettyAvroRpcClient.java:507)
> >         at org.apache.flume.api.RpcClientFactory.getDefaultInstance(RpcClientFactory.java:169)
> >         at org.apache.flume.client.avro.AvroCLIClient.run(AvroCLIClient.java:168)
> >         at org.apache.flume.client.avro.AvroCLIClient.main(AvroCLIClient.java:68)
> > Caused by: java.io.IOException: Error connecting to /x.x.x.x:6240
> >         at org.apache.avro.ipc.NettyTransceiver.getChannel(NettyTransceiver.java:261)
> >         at org.apache.avro.ipc.NettyTransceiver.<init>(NettyTransceiver.java:203)
> >         at org.apache.avro.ipc.NettyTransceiver.<init>(NettyTransceiver.java:152)
> >         at org.apache.flume.api.NettyAvroRpcClient.connect(NettyAvroRpcClient.java:106)
> >         ... 5 more
> > Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: no further information
> >         at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.checkConnect(Native Method)
> >         at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.finishConnect(SocketChannelImpl.java:599)
> >         at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioClientSocketPipelineSink$Boss.connect(NioClientSocketPipelineSink.java:
> > 401)
> >         at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioClientSocketPipelineSink$Boss.processSelectedKeys(NioClientSocketPipeli
> > neSink.java:370)
> >         at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioClientSocketPipelineSink$Boss.run(NioClientSocketPipelineSink.java:292)

> >         at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
> >         at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
> > 2012-10-30 11:14:22,185 (main) [DEBUG - org.apache.flume.client.avro.AvroCLIClient.main(AvroCLIClient.java:81)]
Exiting

> > Despite the ERROR message being logged to the console, java.exe still exits with
code 0, indicating success. Is there a way to use the console appender to trigger java.exe
to send a non-0 exit code if an error occurs so the rest of my automation tooling can detect
the error? I can parse the output with Powershell and have it send a non-0 exit code itself,
but looking for a more 'native' way to do this.