flume-user mailing list archives

From Pankaj Gupta <pan...@brightroll.com>
Subject Failover in Flume NG
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 17:05:34 GMT
Hi,

We are investigating using Flume for log aggregation in our organization and have this dilemma
over going with Flume NG or OG. We really like the centralized configuration management in
OG but that's not a must have. What we need most is reliability in face of machines going
down (which is quite common on AWS). How is that handled in Flume NG. In OG, I believe, it
was possible to define failover semantics so that messages could be routed to another collector
if one collector went down. In Flume OG there is no concept of a special collector but collector
is just an agent as I understand. I'm wondering how failover semantics are defined for these
agents. It would be great if someone could elaborate on that.

We also want to use a relatively new version of Hadoop e.g. 1.0.3 or higher. Is it possible
to use Flume NG (or OG) with the new versions of hadoop.

Thanks in advance,
Pankaj